Hello Everyone, now we are going to discuss MEO Class 4 which is conducted by MMD (DG Shipping).
MEO = Marine Engineering/Engineer Officer
It’s the first competency exam for assistant marine engineer officer/TME/Engine cadet
It’s conducted by DG Shipping through MMD (Marine Mercantile Department: a subset of DG
Table of Contents
Eligibility Of MEO Class 4 Exam
# Sailing period:
For Motor – a minimum of 6 months (183 days)
For Steam – a minimum of 6 months (183 days)
For combined Steam & Motor – 8 months (4 months on Motor + 4 months on Steam)
# Propulsion period:
For Motor: a minimum of 4 months (121 days)
For Steam: a minimum of 4 months (121 days)
For combined Steam & Motor: 6 months (3 months on Motor + 3 months on Steam)
* Engine Power: Main Engine of power minimum 750KW or more.
* A sea service letter is required to apply for the exam
Courses Before Applying for MEO Class 4 Exam
The Directorate has decided to make this ELeaming course mandatory to be completed by all candidates prior to appearing for the MEO Class IV examination at no additional cost to the candidate.
After 6 months of onboard training, all candidates should complete the following 4 courses:
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (PSCRB)
- Engine Room Simulator (ERS)
Certificates Required to Register for MEO Class 4
- CDC with the proper entry of sea service details.
- Class 10th Certificate
- 10+2 / diploma Certificate
- Graduation Certificate
- Pre-Sea Training Certificate
- Sea Service Letter From the company with proper details and signature
- Sea Service Testimonials (you can contact the company if you missed the same)
- All STCW Certificates
- Advanced Modular Course Certificates
MEO Class 4 Subjects/Functions
MEO Class 4 examination consists of 2 parts :(Part A + Part B)
Part B is compulsory for all candidates, but Part A is exempted for Graduated (GME/ME) candidates.
Part: B (For all candidates including GME and BTech)
Total 10 Papers : 6 written + 4 orals
4 Oral Papers:
- Function 3:- Controlling Operations of ships & care for persons on board at the operational level (COSCPOOL)
- Function 4:-Marine Engineering at Operational Level (MEOL)
- Function 5:- Electronics and Control Engineering at Operational Level (EECEOL)
- Function 6:- Maintenance & Repair at Operational Level (MROL)
6 Written Examination Papers are:
- Marine Engineering Knowledge: General
- Marine Engineering Knowledge: Motor
- Ship Safety & Environment Protection
- Marine Engineering Practice
- Ship Construction and stability
- Marine Electro technology
MEO Class 4 Exam Pattern and Syllabus:
From 2022, there will be objective as well as subjective questions as per the DG shipping circular.
The Chief Examiner of Engineers has decided that with effect from 1st March 2022 there will be no fixed pattern of questions of the MEO Class IV written examination.
The question patterns will either be a fully descriptive type or a combination of descriptive, multiple choices, true and false, match the following, etc.
You can watch this video to get more details about the change in the Pattern.
The questions will be from the IMO model course 7.04 (Officer-In-Charge of an Engineering watch) curriculum covering the competency table (Regulation A-IIVI) of STCW, that are to be assessed for issuance of the MEO Class IV Certificate of Competency (COC), and are also being covered/taught during the Marine Engineering pre-sea training course in DGS-approved MTIs.
Your pre-sea course syllabus covers almost 90% of the Class 4 examination.
Booking Procedure MEO Class 4 Exam
If you are completed all eligibility criteria explained above, you can proceed with exam booking.
> Visit the Epariksha page. link:- http://184.108.40.206/crebs
> Click on “Register New User”
After filling all the mandatory filled / uploading necessary documents and paying assessment fee
details in the application form, you can submit it for approval.
> Verification of documents
Take the printout of 2 sets of the application and certificates as listed above for the verification. Carry your all original certificates at the time of verification.
Booking of Oral And Written Exam refer to the booklet given below